Predator Free Paekākāriki (previously known as Paekakariki Rat Pack), is a volunteer, not-for-profit, community effort to rid the Paekākāriki of predators.
We would love for you to join us in making Paekākāriki predator free! Removing predator species helps to protect all of our native flora and fauna. We have seen tūī and kererū numbers boom over recent years, next we want to see kākā and kākāriki! Join our group and we’ll help you get started trapping in your backyard!
Predator Free Paekākāriki is working in partnership with Ngā Uruora, and other world class conservation groups in the area. For more information about the work to create a Kapiti Mainland Island click here.
Join the group and be part of the vision for Paekākāriki to be predator free:
- Backyard trapping – the more traps the better! If you would like to order a trap please complete this form. Traps are $25 in a safe wooden tunnel with proceeds going to Ngā Uruora for conservation on the escarpment and our local little penguins/kororā.
- Already have a trap? – ensure it is freshly baited and checked regularly. It’s a nice time to do a bit of trap maintenance.
- Make your compost bins rodent proof – some great tips on how to compost safely can be found here.
- Volunteering as a Predator Free Paekākāriki neighbourhood support – helping out neighbours who are less able or don’t want to check and reset their traps. Contact via email@example.com
- Join the Predator Free Paekākāriki team – we are in the founding stages and would like to hear your ideas and support. Please email us if interested.
- Best practice information about trapping visit Predator Free NZ.
- How to compost safely – some great tips on how to compost safely can be found here.
- Tips to make your chicken coops safer for your feather friends and less enticing to rodents!
Tracking progress It is important we track progress, identify any hotspots or areas where there may be gaps, and track progress towards our predator free goal. To register your trap, record and track catches please join the “Predator Free Paekākāriki” project on Trap.nz by searching on this page: Find Projects. If you need a hand give us a shout.
Adding catches to Trap.nz
- Trap.nz App
The trap.nz app is useful for easily inputting data. You can download it here:
- Via the trap.nz website:
- selecting your specific trap on the map
- on the right of the picture is a “add a new trap record” button, select this and complete details.
Stay in touch community updates, support and motivation
- Social media Join the Predator Free Paekākāriki Facebook group (previously Paekākāriki Rat Pack)
- Group newsletters – in the coming months we will explore interest in a newsletter, if there is enough interest for updates on catches, reminders and tips and tricks we will set one up.
Social Media – Join “Predator Free Paekākāriki ”